The renowned Nigerian Human Rights Lawyer, Femi Falana, has condemned the Federal Government for creating a new unit called the Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) Team, to take over the disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Unit (SARS).
In an interview on Channels TV on Wednesday, 13th October, Falana said changing the name of the disbanded unit was not enough and it appears there’s no indication that the government is prepared to respect the rights of Nigerians.
“As far as I’m concerned, so far, we are only scratching the surface of the problem and there’s been no indication that the government is prepared yet to respect the rights of the Nigerian people embodied in the constitution and other statues,” he said.
He further said that “For me, it is not actually the name that matters and I think what the youths are saying is that beyond renaming, they want to see concrete steps taken to show that it is not going to be business as usual when it comes to policing in Nigeria,”.
The human rights lawyer probed all state governors to also rise up to do all within their power to ensure the safety of the citizens rather than depending mainly on the Federal Government.
“It is supposed to be a joint responsibility,” he said.
In addition, Falana also said Nigerians owe the youths a lot of gratitude for “the peaceful manner in which they have carried out the protests and also for waking all of us up to our responsibilities”.